DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY (PG-UNAIDED)
To be recognized as a centre for excellence in Biochemistry that provides an atmosphere to acquire skills in identifying the link between biological and human resources and transform it to enhance the quality of life.
- To provide a broad-based understanding of the concepts and principles of Biochemistry.
- To identify local and global issues that need intervention by a Biochemist and to develop intelligent strategies and Biochemical approaches to problem- solving.
- To provide opportunities to get hands- on experience in Research-oriented education in Biochemistry.
- To enhance Programming and Application skills in Bioinformatics and Drug Designing Molecular Biology and Biotechnology.
- To provide opportunities for students to secure Apprenticeship in industries and service agencies.
- Entrepreneurship in Biochemistry-related areas.
The Department of Biochemistry (UG) was established in the year 1985. The Department offers a PG Degree in Biochemistry from the academic year 1995 and MPhil and PhD Research Programmes from the year 2000.
The main objective of the Department is to inculcate the basic concepts and applications of Biochemistry in the student and to flourish in the field of research and development. The secret of the success of this Department lies in its academic environment and the close ties between teachers and students. Since its very inception, the Department has produced a number of bright scientists who are now pursuing their careers in India and abroad. Periodical research has been the hallmark of its faculty members. The Department has optimized all the resources to improve the quality of education.
The Department is known for its enviable commitment to the development of the students into well-rounded individuals who can take on leadership roles in the industry, the academic field or in government services. The Department has highly qualified faculty members who specialize in various fields of research with more than 25 years of experience. The course curriculum is based on Outcome Based Education. The students of this Department are exposed to most of the emerging areas in this (post) genomic era through the curriculum and also through various field visits, off-campus training and summer programs in reputed institutes. The syllabi are updated to suit the novel developments in the area of Biochemistry. The curriculum provides opportunities for interdisciplinary research. For MSc students, participation in research is highly encouraged. Students are also provided a Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology and a Certificate course in Medical Laboratory Technology conducted along with their degree course. It is obligatory for students to do their short-term industrial training programme towards the end of the first year.
- Well equipped laboratory with Sophisticated instruments
- Funds received from government agencies worth of Rs. 96,88,650
- DST-FIST and UGC-CPE sponsored instrument and chemical facilities
- Research publications in peer review International and National journals with high impact factor and citations
- Filed one Indian Patent
- Extension services-Consultancy/Outsourcing facilities
- Sponsored Hands-on-training, Guest lectures, Seminars, Conferences & Industrial visits for the students
- Entrepreneurship development
- International level Collaborative research activities
- Our Department has produced 62 M.Phil and 65 Ph.Ds so far
- A very good collection of books college library.
- Very good classrooms with necessary furniture, well - equipped laboratories for research and M.Sc practical work is available in the Department.
- Slide Projectors and LCDs are being used as aids for effective teaching.
- Facilities such as separate Animal House has been approved by CPCSEA, New Delhi is available for doing preclinical studies
- Mushroom cultivation unit
- Instrumentation Room is also available in the Department.
- Computers with Internet facilities for students, research scholars and staff.
The Biochemistry Department has 3 Laboratories -1 for UG, 1 for PG and 1 for Research, which are equipped with sophisticated instruments like
- PC- based Double Beam Spectrophotometer
- Semi Auto Analyzer (Miracle)
- Digital Visible Scanning Spectrophotometer
- Flash Evaporator
- Laminar Air Flow Chamber
- Muffle Furnace
- Orbitory Shaker
- Refrigerated High Speed Cooling Centrifuge
- Flame Photometer
- Double Distillation Unit
- Hot Air Oven
- Thermostatic water baths
- UV Transilluminator
- Electrophoretic apparatus
- PCR instrument
- Gel Documentation
- Cell counter apparatur
- Blotting apparatus
- Chromatographic units
- Digital electronic balances
- Distillation apparatus and other basic equipment needed for Biochemistry practical and research work are available in the Department.
- Well qualified and Doctoral degree holding Faculties specialized in diverse fields of Biochemistry
- MOU sighed with Mani’s Micro Lab, Kings laboratory to promote research activities and placement
- The areas of research include: Cancer Biology, Biochemical Toxicology, Nutritional Biochemistry, Plant Biochemistry, Environmental Biotechnology, Clinical Biochemistry, and Plant Therapeutics.
- Research projects are carried out by many faculty members of the Department.
- The PhD students are working in other research institutes in collaboration with the University.
- The Department has organized several symposia/ conference/ seminars sponsored by DST, DBT, CSIR, UGC, ICMR, DRDO, TNSCST etc.
- The teaching staff members and research scholars regularly participate in national and international conferences/symposia/seminars.
- Several research papers have been published by teachers and scholars of the Department in national and international scientific journals.
- Some of the former students are occupying very high positions in India and abroad in academic and administrative fields.
EMERGING RESEARCH AREAS
- Clinical and Plant Biochemistry
- Mushroom Biology and Vermitechnology
- Environmental Biochemistry and Toxicology
- Cancer and Molecular Biology
- Many students have qualified in GATE, NET and SLET examinations.
- MOU sighed with Mani’s Micro Lab, Kings laboratory
- Minor and Major project scheme from funding agencies like UGC, DST-SERB, DBT, ICMR etc.
- Two of our students got training in AMES institute, New Delhi
- PG and research students have placed in various research institutes like UPASI, CFTRI,
- 50% of students have completed their PhD degree
- 25% of students are doing their PDF
- Best Department Award for the year 2007-2008.
50% of the students are placed in pharmaceutical industries, Organization of Clinical trials, Clinical laboratories, Medical Transcriptionist, Educational Institutions such as Universities and Colleges and in various Government Services.
- National and International Research Labs
- Biochemical Industries
- Hospitals and Diagnostic Centers
- Pharmaceutical industries
- Educational Institutions such as Universities and Colleges
- Government Services, Biotechnology Laboratories
- Opportunities in overseas companies/institutes
- Dr. R. T. Narendhirakannan, Assistant Professor (Senior Grade), Department of Biotechnology, Karunya University, Coimbatore
- Dr. C. Guruvayoorappan, Assistant Professor of Cancer Research, Regional Cancer Centre, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- Dr. K. Chandrakumar, Assistant Professor (Biochemistry), Department of Bioenergy, Agrl. Engineering College and Research Institute, TNAU, Coimbatore 641 003
- Dr. Suresh Balasubramanian, Associate Professor, School of Biological Science, Monash University, Australia
- Dr. K. Srikanth, Post Doctoral Research Fellow, Division of Animal Genomics and Bioinformatics, National Institute of Animal Science, South Korea
- Dr. S. Shreeram, Research Scientist, Abbett Nutrition R & D, Singapore
- Dr. P. Ragavendran, Quality Manager, Ehrlich Laboratory Pvt Ltd, Chennai
- Mr. A. Naveenkumar, Doctoral Researcher, Centre for Plant Science, University of Queensland, Australia
- Mr. B.K. Sri Aravind, Senior Executive Manager, Apotex, Mumbai
- Dr. Vidya Shalini, Senior Research Fellow, Central Institute for Cotton Research, Coimbatore
- Dr. K. Babu, Laboratory Manager, Thyrocare
- Dr. Nishanth, Assistant Professor, Department of Food Processing and Engineering, Karunya University
- Mr. Prakash, Executive Director, Indian Products Limited, Coimbatore
- Dr. Srigopal Ram, Postdoctoral Researcher, National Institute of Animal Science, South Korea
- Dr. M. Vijayakumar, Researcher, National Institute of Animal Science, South Korea
- Dr. Glen Lester Sequiera, Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Manitoba, Canada
- Dr. K. Sreeram, Executive-Scientific Affaris & IP Management, Sami Labs, Bangalore