DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY (UNAIDED)
VISION & MISSION
The Department of Chemistry (PG & Research) aims at holistic development through academic excellence, employability, acquisition of scientific skills and higher research.
- The post graduate and research department of chemistry is offering M.Sc., M.Phil. (FT & PT) and Ph.D (FT & PT) programmes.
- The department is manned by 6 experienced teaching staff members and 2 suitably qualified technical staff.
- So far 19 batches have passed out of the department (10 under University and 9 under autonomy).
- We have a well-furnished and equipped PG laboratory conforming to the Postgraduate standard.
- Ours is a recognized research department since 2000 with a sanctioned strength of 18 (12 Ph.D / M.Phil + 6 M.Phil).
- After gaining autonomy status the syllabus is being revised every subsequent year attuning to the development in science and to kindle more interest in the minds of the students, to make science more attractive, and also to make them more employable.
- Job Oriented Courses (JOC) and Advanced Learner Courses (ALC) on selected world trends in science were included to make the students stand high in the globalized concept of education.
- The PG students are also encouraged to pursue their course project in the research laboratory of the department.
- The coaching is rigorous and research oriented due to the inclusion of research topics of current interest.
- The students are encouraged and counseled from the beginning and their mind frame is developed to take on competitive exams like UGC/CSIR-NET, GATE, and SET.
- M.Sc CHEMISTRY
- M.Phil CHEMISTRY FT / PT
- Ph.D CHEMISTRY FT / PT
- The Department of Chemistry (PG & Research) brings out nearly 20 publications in year both by students and staff members.
- Students present papers in various international and national level seminars and conferences.
- Three UGC Minor Projects Sanctioned.
- Students and staff actively take part in International and national conferences, symposiums and workshops.
- CHEMBOND'13 National Level Intercollegiate Students Meet with interesting events like chempuzzle, chemquiz, chemtask, chempower and chemcharades.
- Guest lectures on recent research topics like nanocomposites and cheminformatics.
- Workshop on Homemade Cleaning Products to encourage students in self employment.
UGC Minor Projects Sanctioned
- Ms. S. Jone Kirubavathy
Title: Studies on synthesis of transition metal complexes of quinoxaline and pyrimidine derivatives and their pharmacological evaluation
Amount: Rs. 4,00,000.00
- Ms. K. Kalpanadevi
Title: Studies on the structural, magnetic and gas sensing properties of cobalt ferrite, nickel ferrite, cobalt-zinc ferrite and nickel-zinc ferrite nanoparticles synthesized by thermal decomposition route.
Amount: Rs. 1,90,000.00
- Ms. A. Amuthavalli
Title: Synthesis, Characterization, Anti-cancer and DNA binding studies of novel heterocyclic compounds.
Amount: Rs. 4,50,000.00
- CHeMiNEWSPG-2014 The Chemistry Newsletter containing all the events of the department
- K. Thrivikraman, Ph.D Scholar cleared NET
- Encourage students in self employment by teaching them cleaning products and cosmetics.
- Industrial visits to reputed industries like cochin chemicals and Travancore Titanium Products and make students to interact with subject experts
- Even though the department is sufficiently equipped, for the smooth running of the PG and Research programs, further sophistication is planned.
- Plan to procure
- FT - IR instrument
- Electrochemical Analyzer
- The department is undergoing negotiations with leading industrial and research institutions to establish MOU linkages.
- Plan to introduce a clause that the students should publish their M.Sc., project findings to ensure legitimacy, originality and quality.
- Plan to organize on-campus and off-campus interviews by inviting leading industries to ensure the students move out with a 100% placement.
- Dr. S. Anbu, M.Sc., Ph.D, FCT - Post Doctoral Researcher C/o Prof. Armando J.L. Pombeiro, Centro de Quimica E structural, Complexo I, Instituto Superior Tecnico, 1049-001 Lisbon, Portugal.
- Dr. V. Sangeetha, Assistant Professor and Head, Department of Chemistry (UG), Kongunadu Arts and Science College, Coimbatore – 641 029
- Dr. R. Manimekalai, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry (UG), Kongunadu Arts and Science College, Coimbatore – 641 029
- Dr. N. Sathya, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry (PG), Kongunadu Arts and Science College, Coimbatore – 641 029