DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY (UNAIDED)
VISION & MISSION
The Department of Chemistry (PG & Research) aims at holistic development through academic excellence, employability, acquisition of scientific skills and higher research.
- The post graduate and research department of chemistry offers M.Sc., M.Phil. (FT & PT) and Ph.D (FT & PT) programmes.
- The department is manned by 6 experienced teaching staff members and 2 suitably qualified technical staff.
- So far 22 batches have passed out of the department (10 under University and 12 under autonomy).
- There is a well-furnished and equipped PG laboratory conforming to the Postgraduate standard.
- Ours is a recognized research department since 2000 with a sanctioned strength of 18 (12 Ph.D / M.Phil + 6 M.Phil). The department has so far produced 68 M.Phil and 8 Ph.D candidates.
- The department to its honor has more than 200 publications in well reputed journals with high impact factor. The faculty members have been sanctioned with research grants by various funding agencies.
- After gaining autonomy status, the syllabus is being revised every subsequent year attuning to the development in science and to kindle more interest in the minds of the students, to make science more attractive, and also to make them more employable.
- Job Oriented Courses (JOC) and Advanced Learner Courses (ALC) offered by the department cater to employability need of the students.
- The students are encouraged and counseled from the beginning and their mind frame is developed to take on competitive exams like UGC/CSIR-NET, GATE, and SET.
- M.Sc., CHEMISTRY
- M.Phil CHEMISTRY (FT / PT)
- Ph.D CHEMISTRY (FT / PT)
- The Department of Chemistry (PG & Research) brings out nearly 20 publications in year both by students and staff members.
- Students present papers in various international and national level seminars and conferences.
- Minor research projects have been sanctioned by the UGC.
- Research collaboration is made at the national and international levels.
- The department has UV-Vis Spectrophotometer, Ball Mill, Gel Electrophoresis, Muffle furnace, etc., for carrying out research effectively.
- The staff members are actively involved in organizing seminars, workshops and conferences by getting fund from various funding agencies.
- Students and staff enthusiastically take part in international and national conferences, symposiums and workshops.
- CHEMBOND, a national level intercollegiate students’ meet is organized by the department every year, which has interesting events like chempuzzle, chemquiz, chemtask, chempower and chemcharades.
- Guest lectures on recent research topics are given by subject experts from other colleges and universities in every semester.
- The department publishes CHeMiNEWSPG The Chemistry Newsletter elaborating all the events of the department.
UGC Minor Projects Completed
Dr. K. Kalpanadevi
Title: Studies on the structural, magnetic and gas sensing properties of cobalt ferrite, nickel ferrite, cobalt-zinc ferrite and nickel-zinc ferrite nanoparticles synthesized by thermal decomposition route.
Amount: Rs. 1,90,000.00
Mrs. A. Amuthavalli
Title: Synthesis, Characterization, Anti-cancer and DNA binding studies of novel heterocyclic compounds.
Amount: Rs. 4,50,000.00
- Job Oriented Course – Pharmaceutical Chemistry helps the students in getting employment in pharma companies.
- Industrial visits to reputed industries in Bangalore and Kerala make the students aware of the job opportunities in different sectors.
- MoU with food processing industries and pharmaceutical companies provides the students, the possibility to undergo internships in those companies, thereby rendering the knowledge of the employment opportunities.
- Many of our students were placed in prominent companies all over the country through on and off campus interviews.
- Dr. S. Anbu, Marie Skłodowska-Curie Postdoctoral Researcher, School of Chemistry, University of Birmingham, The United Kingdom.
- Dr. V. Sangeetha, Assistant Professor and Head, Department of Chemistry (UG), Kongunadu Arts and Science College, Coimbatore.
- Dr. R. Manimekalai, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry (UG), Kongunadu Arts and Science College, Coimbatore.
- Dr. N. Sathya, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, Chikkanna Govt. Arts and Science College, Tirupur.
- Dr. R. Sivakumar, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, Dr. Mahalingam College of Engineering and Technology, Pollachi, Coimbatore (Dist).
- Dr. K. Aranganayagam, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, Kumaraguru College of Technology, Coimbatore.
- Dr. V. Nadaraj, Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Tamilnadu College of Engineering, Coimbatore.
- Dr. C.R. Sinduja, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, Sree Sakthi College of Engineering, Coimbatore.