To identify local and global issues that need intervention by a Biochemist and to develop intelligent strategies and Biochemical approaches for problem solving.
- To provide opportunities to get hands- on experience in Research-oriented education in Biochemistry.
- To provide Entrepreneurship opportunities in Biochemistry related areas.
- To give a broad based knowledge in concepts and principles of Biochemistry.
The Department of Biochemistry (PG) was established in the year 1995. The Department offers MPhil and PhD Research Programmes from 2000 onwards. The main objective of the Department is to inculcate the basic concepts and applications of Biochemistry in the student and to flourish in the field of research and development. The secret of the success of this Department lies in its academic environment and the close ties between teachers and students. Since its very inception, the Department has produced a number of bright scientists who are now pursuing their careers in India and abroad. The Department has highly qualified faculty members who specialize in various fields of research. The course curriculum is based on Outcome Based Education. The students of this Department are exposed to most of the emerging areas in this (post) genomic era through the curriculum and also through various field visits, off-campus training and summer programs in reputed institutes. The syllabi are updated to suit the novel developments in the area of Biochemistry. The curriculum provides opportunities for interdisciplinary research. For MSc students, participation in research is highly encouraged. Students are also provided a Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology and a Certificate course in Medical Laboratory Technology offered along with their degree course. It is mandatory for students to do their short-term industrial training programme towards the end of the first year.
- M.Sc Biochemistry
- M.Phil Biochemistry (Full time/Part time)
- Ph.D Biochemistry (Full time/Part time)
- Certificate course in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Well qualified Faculties with Doctoral degree specialized in diverse fields of Biochemistry
- The research areas include Cancer Biology, Biochemical Toxicology, Nutritional Biochemistry, Plant Biochemistry, Environmental Biochemistry, Clinical Biochemistry, and Plant Therapeutics.
- Research projects are undertaken by faculty members of the Department.
- The Department has organized several symposia/ conference/ seminars/ lecture workshop/ refresher course sponsored by DST, DBT, CSIR, UGC, ICMR, TNSCST and Science Academies.
- The faculty members and research scholars regularly participate and present research papers in National and International conferences/symposia/seminars.
- Several research papers have been published by the teachers and scholars of the Department in reputed National and International scientific journals with high impact factor and citations.
- Well equipped laboratory with Sophisticated instruments
- Funds received from various Government agencies worth of Rs. 1,06,46900
- DST, UGC-CPE and UGC-CE sponsored instrumentations
- Filed one Indian Patent
- Extension services namely Consultancy/Outsourcing facilities
- Hands-on-training, Guest lectures, Seminars, Conferences & Industrial visits for the students, sponsored by external funding agencies
- Entrepreneurship development Programmes supported by DST-SEED
- The Department has produced 62 M.Phil and 65 Ph.Ds so far
- ISCA sponsored Conferences/Seminars/Training programmes/Extension activities/Workshops
- A good collection of books in the library
- Well furnished classrooms and equipped laboratories with advanced instrumentations
- Smart class room for effective teaching
- Separate Animal House has been approved by CPCSEA, New Delhi is established for conducting pre-clinical studies
- Mushroom cultivation unit with support of TNSCST and DST
- DST-SEED sponsored Spawn production and Minor millet processing unit.
- Computers with Internet facilities for students, research scholars and staff.
The Department has separate Laboratories for PG and Research equipped with sophisticated instruments like:
- PC- based Double Beam Spectrophotometer
- UV Transilluminator
- Electrophoretic apparatus
- PCR instrument
- Gel Documentation
- Cell counter apparatus
- Blotting apparatus
- Chromatographic units
- Digital Visible Scanning Spectrophotometer
- Flash Evaporator
- Laminar Air Flow Chamber
- Muffle Furnace
- Orbitory Shaker
- Refrigerated High Speed Cooling Centrifuge
- Flame Photometer
- Distillation Unit
- Hot Air Oven
- Thermostatic water baths
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Plant Molecular Biology/Genetic Engineering
- Mushroom Biology and Vermitechnology
- Environmental Biochemistry and Toxicology
- Cancer Biology
- Bioremediation, Biofuel production, Nutraceuticals and Plant science
- MoU signed with Microbiological Laboratory, IFGTB, Ministry of Environment and Forest, Coimbatore to promote research activities and placement
- Minor and Major projects scheme from UGC, DST-SERB, DST-SEED, DBT and ICMR
- PG and research students have placed in various research institutes like UPASI, CFTRI etc.
- 62 M.Phil and 65 Ph.Ds have been awarded so far.
- Best PG Department Award for the year 2007-2008.
SCOPE FOR EMPLOYMENT:
Pharmaceutical industries, Research laboratories, Hospitals and Diagnostic Centers, Medical Transcription, Universities and Colleges, various Government Services, Quality analyst.
- Dr. S. Varadharajan, Scientist, NCBS, Bangalore
- Dr. C. Guruvayoorappan, Assistant Professor of Cancer Research, Regional Cancer Centre, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- Dr. K. Chandrakumar, Assistant Professor (Biochemistry), Department of Bioenergy, Agrl. Engineering College and Research Institute, TNAU, Coimbatore 641 003
- Dr. Suresh Balasubramanian, Associate Professor, School of Biological Science, Monash University, Australia
- Dr. K. Srikanth, Post Doctoral Research Fellow, Division of Animal Genomics and Bioinformatics, National Institute of Animal Science, South Korea
- Dr. S. Shreeram, Research Scientist, Abbett Nutrition R & D, Singapore
- Dr. P. Ragavendran, Quality Manager, Ehrlich Laboratory Pvt Ltd, Chennai
- Mr. A. Naveenkumar, Doctoral Researcher, Centre for Plant Science, University of Queensland, Australia
- Mr. B.K. Sri Aravind, Senior Executive Manager, Apotex, Mumbai
- Dr. Vidya Shalini, Senior Research Fellow, Central Institute for Cotton Research, Coimbatore
- Dr. K. Babu, Laboratory Manager, Thyrocare
- Dr. Nishanth, Assistant Professor, Department of Food Processing and Engineering, Karunya University
- Mr. K. Prakash, Senior Executive, Indian Products Limited, Coimbatore
- Dr. Srigopal Ram, Postdoctoral Researcher, National Institute of Animal Science, South Korea
- Dr. M. Vijayakumar, Researcher, National Institute of Animal Science, South Korea
- Dr. Glen Lester Sequiera, Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Manitoba, Canada
- Dr. K. Sreeram, Executive-Scientific Affairs & IP Management, Sami Labs, Bangalore
- Mr.K.Harish Babu, Deputy Manager, Indian Products Limited, Coimbatore.
Assistant Professor and Head
|Mushroom Biology and Environmental Biochemistry
| Read More|
|Cancer Biology and Clinical Biochemistry
| Read More|
M.Sc., M.Phil., PGDMB., Ph.D.,
| Read More|
Dr.M. Nithya Devi
|Plant and Nutritional Biochemistry & Renewable Energy Science
| Read More|