ISCA ANNUAL REPORT 2010 - 2011
The following activities have been organised during the year 2010-2011 in collaboration with the Life Science Departments of the Kongunadu Arts and Science College, Coimbatore - 641029
Guest Lecture Series
- A lecture on "service through science" was delivered by M. Paranthaman, Director of research, TNAU, Coimbatore, held on 13th October 2010.
- Lecture on "Scope and application of molecular techniques in Leptospira sp." Dr. K. Natarajaseenivasan, Associate Professor, Dept. of Microbiology, Bharathidasan University, Trichy - 24, held on 19th August 2010.
- Lecture on "Global perspectives and career opportunities in Clinical research" AnandaPadmanabhan P, Managing Director, Consortium Clinical Research Pvt. Ltd., Coimbatore, held on 20th September 2010.
- A one day guest lecture series was held on 22.09.2010. The lecture on "Instrumental techniques on chemical analysis" by Dr. A. Baskaran.
- "How to become an entrepreneur?" - A lecture note given by Dr. Joshy V. Cherian, Omega Organics, Coimbatore, held on 21st December 2010.
- Lecture on "Applications of Proteomics in Biotechnology" Prof. Dr.M. Raveendran, Centre for Plant Molecular Biology, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore - 641 003, held on 12.01.2011.
- "Role of Biotechnology in Forestry" Dr. N. Krishnakumar, Director, IFGTB, Cowley Brown Road, RS Puram, Coimbatore - 641 002, delivered a lecture on 12.01.2011.
- "Marine environment and its potential applications in biotechnology" Prof. Dr. K. Kathiresan, Centre of Advanced Study in Marine Biology, Annamalai University, Parangipettai 608 502, held on 09.02.2011
The lectures were well delivered by the researchers and the science students.
- The programme offered to all the students of Biotechnology, Zoology and Biochemistry, Kongunadu Arts and Science College on the topic "Science Trek - Demonstration of Instruments" on 8th July 2010.
- For +2 School students from various Schools were offered two days workshop programmes on "Biotechniques and analytical instruments" - held on 27th and 28th August 2010.
- Gene and Protein analysis - Training programme conducted for Research Scholars and PG students from outside colleges and research institutes on 20th to 22nd January 2011.
The students had detailed discussions with the Institute faculty and were thankful to the management of Kongunadu Arts and Science College.
Department of Biochemistry (PG) conducted an International Conference on "Biomolecular analysis - Technical approach" which was held on 17th February 2011. Three technical sessions were held.
- Dr. Sijayanand Chandrasekaran, Scientist, Univesity of Reenes Franhee, Talked on insights into non-covalent interactions in biomolecules: "A gas phase spectrospic study"
- Dr. K.T. Parthiban, Associate Professor & Head, Department of Plant Breeding and genetics, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore. On Forestry as a source of secondary plant metabolitics.
- Dr. S. Lakshmi Subramaniam, group leader Dalmia cement for Research & Development, Coimbatore on Herbal drug development with specific reference to asthma.
75 members have participated. The detailed technical session was say useful to the participants. They were thankful to the management of Kongunadu Arts And Science College for arranging such a useful conference.