ISCA ANNUAL REPORT 2012 - 2013
The Coimbatore Chapter continues its efforts to popularise Science among students and to foster a scientific temperament among the Scientist and Research members by involving them in certain activities organised during the year under report.
The following activities have been organised so far during the year 2012-2013 in collaboration with the departments of Arts, Physical, and Biological Sciences of the Kongunadu Arts and Science College, Coimbatore -29 :
Guest Lecture Series
- Special lectures were delivered ON 13.07.2012 by Dr. Jaya Bajpee, Scientist, Nasa, USA on "Women in Science and Engineering" and by Dr. Maratha Wawroo, Scienctist, Nasa, USA on "Solar Dynamic Observations" organized by the department of Physics.
- A Guest lecture was given by Mr.D.Rajkumar, Regional General Manager, The Hindu, Coimbatore, on "Media:Industrious 24x7 Industry on 01.08. 2012.
- The Postgraduate and Research Department of Biotechnology organized a special lecture on "Biotechnology and Bio-Entrepreneurship". Dr. Joshy V Cherian, Managing Director, Omega Ecotech India Private Ltd, Coimbatore, delivered a lecture on job opportunities in bio-industries, organic agriculture and bio-fertilizer production on 03.08. 2012.
- A special lecture on "Exploring Life Through Literature" was given by Dr.Shobana Rajkumari, Head, Department of English, Providence college for women, Coonoor on 06.08.2012 organised by the PG Department of English (SMART).
- The Department of Botany organized a Guest lecture on the topic "Nutraceuticals" a vital supplement for healthy life which was delivered by Dr. T. Parmelazhagan, Associate Professor, Department of Botany, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore on 16.08.2012.
- The Department of Computer Applications organised Guest lectures on "Soft skills and Personality Development" on 04.09.2012 by Mr. N. V. Subrmaniyam, Director, and on "Web Designing and Ethical hacking" on 21.09.2012 by Mr. S. Dhana Sekar, Trainer, Abile Technologies, Coimbatore.
- The Department of Chemistry (UG) organized a guest lecture on "Advanced Battery Technology" by Dr. R. Manogaran, Department of Nanotechnology, Institute of Advance Studies, PSG College of Technology, on 21st September 2012.
- A Guest Lecture on "Cloud Computing and Recent Trends in IT" was delivered by Mr.Syed Mushtaq Ahmed, Assistant Manager Academics and Mr.S.Venkat Narayanan, Senior Zonal Head, SRM Learning Tree Private Ltd., Chennai on 24.09.2012 by IT Department.
- The Department of Computer Science (UG ) organized a Guest Lecture on the topic "EMBEDDED SYSTEMS" by Ms.Jeeva, SRM Info Tech on 26.09.2012.
- Dr. T. Muthukumar, Assistant Professor, Department of Botany, Agri University, Coimbatore delivered a guest lecture on the topic "Mycorrhizal Research in Agriculture and Forestry" on 28.09.2012 organised by the Department of Botany.
- Mathematics Department (UG) organized a special lecture on "Applications of differential of Equations" by S. Marshal Antony Associate Professor in Maths, Annna University, Regional Centre, on 29.09.2012.
- A Guest lecture on "OPEN SOURCE TECHNOLOGY" by Mr. Mohan Babu, Chairman, ASCENT TECHNO SOFT on 06.10.2012 was organised by Computer Science(UG).
- Dr. P. Suryanarayan, Professor of English (Retd.), Government Arts College, Coimbatore delivered a special lecture on "Arts and Theatre." - organised by English Department (UG) on 8.10.2012.
- A National level seminar by the Department of Chemistry (PG & Research) organized a national level seminar on "Advancements and futuristic trends in chemistry" (AFTIC2012) on 11.09.2012, which was intended to provide a forum for the young chemists to explore the newer trends in chemistry, with the lot of technical session - by Dr.M.G.Sethuraman, Professor of chemistry, Gandhigram Rural Institute, The second by Dr. S. Muthusubramanian, Professor of Organic Chemistry, Madurai Kamaraj University and the third technical session by Dr.K. John Adaikalasamy, Professor of Chemistry, The American College.
- 77 students, 10 research scholars and 2 staff members from 4 other colleges and university participated in the seminar. A National level seminar on "Law and Justice in Western Drama" was organized by the Department of English (UG) on 15th September 2012. Dr.W.S.Kottiswari, Associate Professor & Coordinator, Research Centre for Comparative Studies, Mercy College, Palakkad, Kerala gave the Keynote Address on "Law, Literature and Culture – Rethinking of Conceptual Category." The Chief Guest of the Valediction , Dr. Vasudevan Arunachalam Head, Department of English, Government Arts College, Udumalpet , spoke on "Body Language in Drama."
- The Department of Biotechnology organized a state level search for the "Wizards of Bioscience" Dr. K. Logan Kumar, Associate Professor, Department of zoology, conducted the seminar on 10th January 2013.
- A seminar was conducted by English Literary Association on "Images of Women in Literature". The special address was given by, R. Amaly Antony Jaya, Head & Associate Professor of English, (Retd), Nirmala College for Women on 21st February 2013.
- A State level seminar on "Tactful Ask – The Corporate Theory" was organized by the PG Department of International Business on 26th September 2012. Technical sessions were conducted by Mr.A.Anantha Hariharan, Career Ladder Consultancy on "Born to win", Dr.S.Prabhakar, Director, Management Studies, Karpagam University on "Business Etiquettes" and Mr. T. Narendran, GM, Finance, AquaSub Engineering on "Organisational Behaviour".
- The PG & Research Department of Biotechnology has organized a state level meet for both school teachers and students on 7th and 21st July, 2012. The programme was focused on uplifting Biosciences among
students at school level. 7th July, 2012 was focused on biology teachers from various schools for whom a special lecture on "Is Bioscience dwindling in India" was given by Dr.S.Babu from Vellore Institute of Technology. A discussion was made among the teachers and the faculty members of the Department to initiate various ideas and steps to be taken to create awareness about science among students.
On 21st July, 2012, school students were made to gather in college campus to participate in various competitions organized by the Department. More than 200 students participated in quiz, paper presentation, poster presentation, model exhibition and just a minute and won many prizes.
- A National level Technical Meet was conducted by all the 4 departments of Computer Science (CT, IT, BCA, BSc CS) on 14.08.2012 – Connaissance'12. A keynote address delivered by Mr. N. Valliyappan, Secretary, CSI, Coimbatore Chapter. More than 20 colleges participated.
- A One day state level workshop on "Class 2012: Excellent English and Smart soft Skills for a Powerful Personality." On 05.09.2012, Mr.Syed Haris, Principal Trainer from Kerala, conducted the workshop. Students and Staff numbering 171 participated in the workshop.
- National level Hands-on Training on Metagenomic approach to identify bacterial pathogens and its virulence transcripts. Organized by Biotechnology (PG) conducted from 5th September to 7th September 2012. 28 participants from 9 academic institutions were participated and got trained during the programme. The training programme paved way for the participants to adopt the techniques to enrich their skills in the field of metagenomics. We have evaluated the experimental protocols that we developed through this
programme. The protocol is accurate and suitable enough to apply in the field of metagenomics. Rapid identification of food-borne pathogens can be done using this protocol.
- A One Day State Level Workshop On 'CV Writing And Interview Skills.' Organized by Department of English (PG) on 26.09.2012 Mr.Ralph Simmons, Cambridge Presenter
from Chennai conducted the Workshop. There were 180 Participants and Mr.Ralph Simmons distributed the Certificates to the participants.
- The Life Science Departments organized a One day workshop on "Natural Resource Management for Environmental Security" on 28th January 2013. Plenary sessions were
conducted by Dr. K. Valliappan, Professor, Department of Environmental Science, TNAU, on "Climate Change", Dr. A. Balasubramaniyan, Associate Professor, Department of Forest Ecology and Environment, Forest College of Institute, Mettupalayam on "Green cover and Ecological security", Mr.S.P.Ravikannan, Assistant Engineer in Solid Waste Management Division, Coimbatore city, Municipal Corportaion, Coimbatore, on "Solid Waste Management" and Dr. S. Saravana Babu, Associate Professor & Head, Department of Botany, C.N. College, Erode, on "Reduce, Reuse and Recycle the Plastic and Poly bag materials". The Certificates were distributed to the participants.
- Human Resource Development cell organized a one day workshop on 27.02.2013. Mr. A. Anantha Hariharan, Managing Director, Career Ladder Consultancy, Coimbatore gave a
lecture on "Trends in Knowledge Acquisition".
EXPO on "computer world covering the components of computer both conventional and new technologies" – Exhibition was conducted by Computer Applications (PG)
on 27.09.2012. Students from all departments visited the EXPO and were extremely benefited and Intrafest was conducted for Computer and Non Computer streams by Computer
Applications (PG). More than 310 students were participated in all events and the winners received the prizes.
- An International Conference on HRM in the ERA of Global Mobility on July 18th was organized by the Department of Commerce(UG). Keynote address was delivered by Dr. S. Porkodi, Faculty in Business Studies, Ministry of Manpower College, Sultanate of Oman on "Challenges of workplace relationship".
- A special lecture by Dr. J. Paul Sundar Kirubakaran, Ibra College of Technology, Ministry of Manpower College, Sultanate of Oman on Managing diversity in the Global Village.
- An International workshop on Global Business Challenges was organized by the PG and Research Department of Commerce on 7th August 2012. The Keynote address was delivered by Dr. S. Nakkiran, Professor, Ambo University, Ethiopia. Technical sessions were conducted by Dr.R.Chandrasekar, Advisor, Aegis Global limited (International Company) and Dr. J. Paulsundar Kirubhakaran, Faculty of Business Studies, Aegis Global limited (International Company).
- An International Conference on "Innovation and Creativity In Management Practices" was organized by the Department of Business Management on 25th September 2012. Technical sessions were conducted by Dr. Joseph and Dr. M. Karthikeyan, Hawassa University, Ethiopia and Dr. A. Elangovan, Professor, Head, Department of Commerce, Periyar University delivered the Inaugural address.
- The Guest lectures were well delivered by the Resource persons and it helped the students in their curriculum and in research activities. The National and International seminars and conferences helped the students to understand the contemporary issues in the society and to develop new strategies for tackling the tough competition at the global level.
- The students were motivated for getting more knowledge about their curriculum and to develop their skills for their future endeavour in finding a job.
- The students were thankful to the management of Kongunadu Arts and Science College and the ISCA Chapter having organised useful activities in various curriculum.
ISCA 100th year Southern Regional Conference:
The Southern Regional Centenary Science Congress was organized jointly by the Coimbatore Chapter of the Indian Science Congress Association and the Kongunadu Arts and Science College, Coimbatore and was held at Kongunadu Arts and Science College on the 15th and 16th of December 2012. A detailed Report of the Conference is annexed herewith.