ISCA ANNUAL REPORT 2013 - 2014
The Coimbatore Chapter of ISCA in collaboration with the Departments of Arts, Physical and Biological Sciences has organized a series of activities which aimed to introduce the participants with the new concepts and motivate their skills to face the challenges posed by the changing environments and discuss their outcomes. The following activities have been organized so far:
Guest Lecture Series
- A special lecture on "Plant molecular forming" by Dr. R. Sathish kumar, Associate Professor, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore on 12th August, 2013 was given by the PG department of Biotechnology.
- The Department of Information Technology has inaugurated its Association "Tech Innovators" on 20.08.2013. Mr. Vasudevan Uppli, CEO Haritham Technologies., Coimbatore delivered a Guest Lecture on "Innovation, Ideas and Implementation" on 20.08.2013.
- The Association of the Department of Mathematics which was named as "MAESTRO" i.e., Masterly Achievement Ever Shining Trend over the Universe was inaugurated on 31.08.2013 at 11.00 A.M. in the conference Hall. The Chief guest Mr.P.R.Pasupathi, Director, Exim Academy, Coimbatore, delivered a special lecture on the topic "Commandments for Commandable Life".
- The Department of Mathematics organized a special lecture on the topic "The Path of Analysis in Algebra" on 22.10.2013 by Mr.K.Balachandran, Professor and Head, Department of Mathematics, Bharathiar University.
- The Department of Chemistry (PG & Research) arranged a guest lecture on 11th September 2013. Dr. Nikhil K Kothurkar, Associate professor, Department of Material Science and engineering, Amrita University, Coimbatore delivered a lecture on inaugural address on "Carbon-Polymer Nanocomposites for Microwave Absorption".
- The PG and Research Departments of Botany arranged a guest lecture on 11.09.2013. Dr. Viswambharan Sarasan, Head of Conservation Biotechnology, Aiton House, Jodrell Laboratory, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, England, UK delivered a lecture on Biodiversity Conservation in Global "Biodiversity Hot spots and Island Countries - Problems and Prospects". He focused the current status of global biodiversity.
- The Department of Physics organized a Guest lecture on "Nobel Laureates in Physics" on 26.09.2013 by Dr. K. Narayana Dass, Former Professor & Head, Department of Physics, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore.
- The Postgraduate and Research Departments of Biotechnology associated with the Department of Zoology organized a Guest lecture on "Aquaculture Practices-Biotechnological Approach" delivered by Dr. P. Shanmuganandam, Galaxy Biolabs on the 27th September 2013.
- A guest lecture was delivered by Dr. R. Prabhakaran, Assistant Professor, School of Chemistry, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore on 4.10.2013 by the Chemistry department (UG).
- The Department organized a special lecture in memory of great Indian Mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujam as 'National Mathematics Day' on 31/01/2014. Dr. S.C. Palanisamy, Associate Professor, KASC, delivered a special lecture.
- Dr. K. Rathnasabapathy, Associate Professor of English, PSG College of Arts and Science delivered a special lecture on "Communicative Competence" organized by PG department of English.
- The Department of Computer Applications (UG) organised a one day National Level Seminar on 13th August 2013 Dr.S.Gunasekaran Head, Department of Computer Science, CIET College, Coimbatore, delivered a Special lecture on the topic "Emerging Trends in Information Technology" which was followed by technical sessions. 115 students from various colleges participated.
- A state level meet for school children was organized by Department of Biotechnology on 13.08.2013. A total of 446 students from various reputed schools in and around Coimbatore have actively participated in various events.
- The Department of Computer Technology organised a state level Collegiate Technical meet on 30th August 2013. 425 students participated from various colleges. The Principal, KASC presided over the meet.
- The Department of Mathematics organized an Interdepartmental Competitions 'Maths Meet' on 10/10/2013.
- The Department of Chemistry (PG & Research) organized a national level intercollegiate student's meet-Exploring Chemistry CHEMBOND'13 on 20-12-2013. About 100 participants and 6 staff members from various colleges in and around Coimbatore participated. Dr. M. Sekar, Associate Professor, Sri Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore delivered a special address.
- A state level search for the Masteries of Biosciences Programme was organized on 04.02.2014 with an aim to encourage and motivate the young students in the field of Life Sciences with their creative mind and skills by the Department of Biotechnology. 250 participants from various institutions in and around Coimbatore attended.
- The Department of Information Techonolgy has organized a technical Seminar on "Open Source Technologies" on 05.02.2014. Ms. M. Hemasree, Senior Manager, Technical & Deliverables, Indian Institute of Software Testing delivered the special address.
- The Department of English (PG) organised a One day National Level Seminar on "Children's Literature – A Plethora of Pleasure" on 23.03.2014. The Chief guest Dr. Anto Thomas, Associate Professor of English., St. Thomas College, Thrissur delivered a special lecture.
The Department of Chemistry (PG& Research) organized a workshop on 11th September 2013 on "Home made cleaning products". About 60 students participated in the workshop. Students were taught how to make cleaning products like soap powder, Phenyl, soap oil, etc.
The Department of Computer Technology organized a Workshop on "Android Applications Development" - Conducted by Mr.S.Sudharsan, IT Head, Design Tech Software Development and Training Centre, Coimbatore – 641 012 on 08.01.2014 at Computer Center VII of the College.
Medicinal Mushroom Cultivation Training Programme (MMCTP) – 2014 was organized by the Biochemistry department on 23.01.14.
- The Department of Mathematics organized a Science Exhibition on 11/10/2013. Students from the other departments actively took part and displayed their models. All the models were evaluated and the best model was awarded.
- The PG Department of Computer Science organized a technical conference on 11.10.2013. 250 students participated.
- The Guest lectures were well delivered by the Resource persons and it helped the students in Research activities.
- The Workshops conducted encouraged the students in self-employment and to create an awareness about the products prepared. The interaction sessions with the guests enriched the skills of the students and helped them to grow as a Researcher / Scientist. Several participants from various educational institutions participated and got benefited through the seminars and workshops.
- The technical meet of computer science departments helped the students to have an idea about open source technologies and their opportunities. They were motivated for getting more knowledge about their curriculum and to develop their skills for their future endeavour in finding a job.