The Youth Red Cross (YRC) Unit of our college was established in the year 2004 under NSS. YRC Unit is now independent and is under the YRC Zone of the University which in turn is the part of Indian Red Cross Society (IRCS), Tamil Nadu Branch.
Youth represent a substantial part of the membership of Red Cross renowned for its humanitarian commitment. Young volunteers can make a significant contribution to meeting the needs of the most vulnerable people within their local communities through Red Cross Youth programme. This has been designed to involve young people as much as possible in the movement and its activities not only as workers and also as beneficiaries.
The IRCS is functioning throughout India with "Seven Fundamental Principles" such as:
- Voluntary service
Youth Red Cross is based on three principles:
- Protection of Health and Life.
- Service to the sick and suffering.
- Promotion of National and International friendship.
The College YRC unit focuses on the following areas:
- Blood donation to the needy people in and around Coimbatore.
- Conducting various health awareness programmes (AIDS and Diabetes) and camps (Vision Screening and Voluntary Blood Donation) for the students, staff and to the nearby village communities.
- Community service through training and education.
- Disseminating the seven fundamental principles of Red Cross and Red Crescent movement through activities that encourage the Red Cross ideals.
- The YRC unit aims to have young people recognized by social leadership as equal partners who address the needs of the most vulnerable sections of the population.