Developing the total personality of every student in a holistic way by adhering to the principles of Swami Vivekananda and Mahatma Gandhi.
- Imparting holistic and man making education with emphasis on character, culture and value-moral and ethical.
- Designing the curriculum and offering courses that transform the students into value added skilled human resources.
- Constantly updating academic and management practices towards total quality management and promotion of quality in all spheres.
- Extending the best student support services by making them comprehensive and by evolving a curriculum relevant to student community and society at large.
- Taking steps to make education affordable and accessible by extending scholarship to the meritorious and economically disadvantaged students.
- Moulding the teachers in such a way that they become the role models in promoting Higher Education.
The Department of Biochemistry (UG) was established in the year 1985. The Department offers a PG Degree in Biochemistry from the academic year 1995 and MPhil and PhD Research Programmes from the year 2000.
The main objective of the Department is to inculcate the basic concepts and applications of Biochemistry in the student and to flourish in the field of research and development. The secret of the success of this Department lies in its academic environment and the close ties between teachers and students. Since its very inception, the Department has produced a number of bright scientists who are now pursuing their careers in India and abroad. Periodical research has been the hallmark of its faculty members. The Department has optimized all the resources to improve the quality of education.
- Salient Features
- Faculty members with rich experience in teaching and Research.
- Well equipped laboratory.
- Carried out funded projects from UGC, DST, SSTP, SEED, TNSCT worth of Rs 59, 31, 425.
- Received Best UG department award for the year 2018-19.
- Regular updated of curriculum.
- Faculty members with good number of publications and research citations.
- Indian Patent has been granted to our faculty member Dr. R.T. Narendhirakannan for the invention of Cancer Drug.
- Facilities such as separate Animal House and Instrumentation Room are also available in the Department.
- The Department has vast Alumni network and our alumni members spread all over the world. Some notable alumni members are working as a Scientist, Faculty members, Post doctoral researchers in USA, Australia, UK, Canada, European union and South Asian countries and so on.
- Thrust Areas
- Environmental Toxicology and Plant Biochemistry
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Plant Biochemistry and Vermitechnology
- Cancer Biology
- Medical Biochemistry
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Cancer Biology, Mushroom Biology and Environmental Biochemistry
- Bio nanotechnology
- Diabetes mellitus
- B.Sc., - Biochemistry( Aided) - 1986
- M.Sc., - Biochemistry (SF) - 1995
- M.Phil., Ph.D., - Biochemistry (SF) - 2000
- Certificate course in Medical lab Technology - 2005
- Diploma course in Medical lab Technology - 2005
- Advanced learners course and Job Oriented Courses - 2005
- Certificate Course in Mushroom Technology - 2022
- Roll of Honour
1. Dr. R.Kokilavani , Associate Professor & Head 10.11.1986 - 31.05.2015
2. Dr. S. Krishnakumari, Associate Professor 18.11.1987 - 31.05.2019
3. Dr. K.Kalaivani, Associate Professor 19.01.1989 - 31.05.2020
To identify local and global issues that need intervention by a Biochemist and to develop intelligent strategies and Biochemical approaches for problem solving.
- To provide opportunities to get hands- on experience in Research-oriented education in Biochemistry.
- To provide Entrepreneurship opportunities in Biochemistry related areas.
- To give a broad based knowledge in concepts and principles of Biochemistry.
The Department of Biochemistry (PG) was established in the year 1995. The Department offers MPhil and PhD Research Programmes from 2000 onwards. The main objective of the Department is to inculcate the basic concepts and applications of Biochemistry in the student and to flourish in the field of research and development. The secret of the success of this Department lies in its academic environment and the close ties between teachers and students. Since its very inception, the Department has produced a number of bright scientists who are now pursuing their careers in India and abroad.
- Salient Features
The Department has highly qualified faculty members who specialize in various fields of research. The course curriculum is based on Outcome Based Education. The students of this Department are exposed to most of the emerging areas in this (post) genomic era through the curriculum and also through various field visits, off-campus training and summer programs in reputed institutes. The syllabi are updated to suit the novel developments in the area of Biochemistry. The curriculum provides opportunities for interdisciplinary research. For MSc students, participation in research is highly encouraged. Students are also provided a Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology and a Certificate course in Medical Laboratory Technology offered along with their degree course. It is mandatory for students to do their short-term industrial training programme towards the end of the first year.
- Thrust Areas
- Well qualified Faculties with Doctoral degree specialized in diverse fields of Biochemistry
- The research areas include Cancer Biology, Biochemical Toxicology, Nutritional Biochemistry, Plant Biochemistry, Environmental Biochemistry, Clinical Biochemistry, and Plant Therapeutics.
- Research projects are undertaken by faculty members of the Department.
- The Department has organized several symposia/ conference/ seminars/ lecture workshop/ refresher course sponsored by DST, DBT, CSIR, UGC, ICMR, TNSCST and Science Academies.
- The faculty members and research scholars regularly participate and present research papers in National and International conferences/symposia/seminars.
- Several research papers have been published by the teachers and scholars of the Department in reputed National and International scientific journals with high impact factor and citations. Well equipped laboratory with Sophisticated instruments
- Funds received from various Government agencies worth of Rs. 1,06,46900
- DST, UGC-CPE and UGC-CE sponsored instrumentations
- Filed one Indian Patent
- Extension services namely Consultancy/Outsourcing facilities
- Hands-on-training, Guest lectures, Seminars, Conferences & Industrial visits for the students, sponsored by external funding agencies
- Entrepreneurship development Programmes supported by DST-SEED
- The Department has produced 62 M.Phil and 65 Ph.Ds so far
- ISCA sponsored Conferences/Seminars/Training programmes/Extension activities/Workshops.
- Roll of Honour
Faculty Name Designation Period of Service DR. R. VENKATESH ASSISTANT PROFESSOR & HEAD (i/c) Period of Service:2017-TILL DATE DR. J. ANITHA ASSISTANT PROFESSOR Period of Service:2021-2Till date DR. S. MONISHA ASSISTANT PROFESSOR Period of service : 2012 - 2015, 2018 - till date DR. P. GOWTHAM ASSISTANT PROFESSOR Period of Service: 2021 - till date